Why I’m Not Making Resolutions This Year

WNormally, you’ll find me filling up my journal with a list, making a hopeful set of resolutions for the New Year. Let me say at the outset—I like resolutions. I think they’re a good thing. Getting a goal in place, and resolving to complete that goal, can pave a clear road to growth and successful accomplishment. Resolving to “do better” can be a great motivator, even when it requires taking time to learn something new or apply myself to another form of self-discipline.

And let me clarify at the outset, no resolution can be kept on our own. Without the grace of God at work, unless I’m depending on Him for help and crying out in my weakness, I’ll fall on my face in defeat.

But this year, I’m taking a different approach—not better necessarily, just different. In this “new normal,” a list of resolutions seems a bit overwhelming and unrealistic. I’m stepping quietly (but boldly) into this new year with a list, but it’s not a list of resolutions, it’s a list of big requests.

Perhaps you’d like to join me in these?

Big Requests for 2019:

1. Father, would You open my ears to really hear what the hurting around me are saying? Would You help me to hear the need, to listen well, to hold my tongue so I can focus on what is being said, rather than rushing in with my thoughts and opinions? Would You, by Your Spirit, open my ears to hear?

2. Father, You’ve told us that kindness is a work of Your Spirit. It is fruit of You deepening the heart in empathy for others. It is the action of meeting needs with a cheerful disposition. I need You to do that work in me. Would You bring forth the fruit of kindness in my life?

3. Father, thank You that shaming people is not Your way. You never use guilt as a bully club or motivator with Your children. Thank You that You’ve told us that there is now “no condemnation” to those who are in Christ. Make me aware of when I’m resorting to the ugly tool of shame. If I’m speaking in a way that conveys condemnation to those I love—make me aware of that and give me the grace to quickly ask their forgiveness. If my facial expressions, or tone of voice, conveys a destructive “shaming message” then, by Your Spirit, cut my heart to the quick—that I might repent of that harmful attitude.

4. Father, deepen my faith. You know I grow weary with the long road we’re walking. Thank You that You’ve shown Yourself faithful and given me no reason to doubt Your loving care for us . . . but on those days when LeRoy’s pain is excruciating, when the future looks dark and precarious, deepen my faith. Remind me, when my memory grows faint, of the wondrous things I’ve seen You do; the incredible evidences of You at work in our lives. Don’t let me forget, that I might glorify You with steadfast faith.

5. Father, would You give me time to write? Would You place obvious holes in my day, spaces of grace I call them, when I can pause long enough to scribble out, or hit out on the keys of my laptop, the many words and messages that You have running through my heart each day? If You bring the holes of time, I will fill them. I will apply my fingers and mind to putting out the content that You are burning in my heart.

6. Father, You know that since I was a young girl, I’ve taught the Word. Sometimes filling in for my junior high Sunday school teacher randomly, but then regularly in high school with a Bible study in our home. That’s been a joy and privilege. But, in this season, that is something that needed to be set aside. You’ve placed on my heart that it is time. It is time to teach again, and I ask You for grace and help. I thank You so much for providing a Godly young teaching assistant that I can rely on when, or if, there are emergencies or situations with LeRoy that prevent me from fulfilling that assignment. Would You provide the study time that’s needed, the wisdom and grace, to convey the truths from Your Word to the women in this weekly study?

7. As I study the book of James, would You open my eyes to all You want me to see; all I need to see and absorb, all that You have for me to learn and receive? Would You use this little book of wisdom to impart wisdom in me?

There are many more prayers on my heart. I’m praying for LeRoy’s healing and recovery, for relief from pain, and for him to be able to return to ministry—that is a continual cry of my heart. Our children and their children, our precious church family, and our many friends . . . (and when you leave a comment letting me know a need in your life, dear reader, you are one that I lift in prayer) all are ones that the Spirit leads us to intercede for, but these requests I’m listing here are specifically my personal prayers for 2019.

What are you boldly asking for this year?

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)
“Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20–21)

Dear Friends, your prayers are a tangible means of God’s grace in our lives. If you are new to the blog, and unaware of what we’re walking through and how we need your prayers, I hope you’ll read this post from the archives. Even though I’m unable to respond to your comments, I do read every one. For those who share prayer needs, I lift those to the Father and am so grateful to be entrusted with your prayer request. I love to hear from you, so please continue to leave your comments knowing that they matter.

1. Posted by Rose Betty

Our loving heavenly Father is well able to heal your husband. It’s my prayer that He will release His healing power and restore him back to ministry as per your prayer. Above all be assured God loves you and you belong to Him. God bless you. Please remember my family for financial provision to enable us go back to business and educate our children. We have put our trust in God.

2. So good to read a post from you once again. I’ve asked God to relieve LeRoy’s pain and to give you both relief from this difficult journey. I’ve also prayed through each request above. God bless you both. Your faith is inspiring. Please say a prayer for our son who has strayed from the Lord for many years. Please pray that he will return to serve God and be a light for God’s purposes. Thank you!

3. Posted by Glenda Mclearen

Joining you in these prayers !

4. Posted by Kathy Leverett

Kim, I am praying God will grant the desires of your heart. Pray for me is this very busy season of my life. I need God so desperately each and every day. Pray that I will love Him more today than I did yesterday and that His word will wash over me so that I can be used by Him.

5. Posted by Gail

I so love your heart, and I would love for the LORD to answer your prayers, and that it would also be my hearts cry to have those same prayers answered for me and my family. It takes us all to work together to make it happen more smoothly, and if not, then it really starts with me, to Trust the LORD through it all. He is faithful!
    May God help you to be as faithful as He is, that is my cry for this woman and her family too! Love you! ♥

6. Posted by Peggy

These requests are beautiful Kim. What a gift we have in Christ that we can freely and boldly ask and He graciously hears our prayers. I love that you are desiring to teach again. I’ve been the recipient of your gift and pray you are able to make that happen. May God grant you the desires of your heart for your good and His glory. Continued prayers for the love of your life. May this be the year where you see remarkable improvement in Leroy’s physical body so that He too can again use the gifts God has blessed him with. Prayers for your children and grandchildren as I’m sure they want it to be as it once was. God, pour out your grace, strength and peace.
    Press on dear sister in the power of our Lord as you continue to exalt His name in the midst of hard things.
    Happy New Year.

7. Posted by Caroline Fuhrmann

Good morning, Kim. I met you briefly probably about 6 or so years ago at a Gospel Coalition in Florida. One of my dearest friends is Leanne Johnson so I believe I met you and Nancy through her. Anyways I’m a busy wife and mama but occasionally have time to read your posts over the past few months and years. I just wanted to (finally) take a moment to say hello and that I do appreciate you and have lifted you, your dear husband, and family up in prayer. You have been such a positive encouragement and inspiration in my life (by listening to some of your marriage testimonies on ROH) and much more. I really appreciate you and thank God for you sharing your heart and experiences past and present. I was really touched by your prayers and requests today as I am definitely one of those always striving to be a better mom, Christian, wife, etc but often feel discouraged after “failing.” Anyways just wanted to write a simple note to say thank you, I’m praying for you and your requests, and may Jesus pour out His Spirit and blessings upon you in this new year. Hope to get to meet you again some day! We live in FL close to Leanne.

In His love and blessings,
    Caroline

8. Posted by Barbara Stewart

If I may, I will say ‘Ditto’ for me. Your request reflects my desires completely. I pray that you and Bro.Leroy will find favor in the eyes of our loving Father.I pray this includes healing of mind, body and spirit. I pray He will continue to allow you to be a vessel in which many are lifted higher. You have done this for me many times. Praying for you both.

9. Posted by MaryJane

praying for total restoration and healing for your husband
    please pray for me for Alters and strongholds in my family to come down

10. Posted by Kim Magnus

Would you mind to share with us when and where you are teaching? We just finished studying the book of James in ladies Bible study at BCLR in Little Rock, so James is still on my mind! Will your teaching be available or online?
    Thanks!

11. Posted by Naomi

Thank you for reminding us that we can come BOLDLY to the throne to obtain grace. Thank you! 🙏🏾I pray with in your request for healing, return to ministry and time to write and study. My prayer is more personal time with God, as well and God will have grace and mercy on my 90 year old mother that’s recovering from a stroke. My desire is for her not to suffer. It’s better for her to be absent from this body and present with our Father. Thy will be done.

12. Posted by Debbie Banyai

I am new to your blog, and so very glad that I found you! Your desires for the New Year are just what my life needs, too. Thank you for sharing with all of us. I am hoping to get “Celebration of Discipline” as soon as possible to get started on this journey. Thank you for the recommendation.

13. Posted by Donna Doverspike

Kim and Leroy,

Joining you in these prayers !

Hugs