Since mid-May the pounding has felt relentless. There have been brief reprieves and I’ve experienced the steadying factor of God’s abiding presence, but the unexpected losses keep coming and I’m wondering when this freefall will end. I’m watching decades’ old relationships crumble, seeing tender hearts thrown into confusion, observing the enemy at work devouring hope and stability, and I’m driven to my knees continually.
I don’t have the answers to what is happening or why, but I know Who I am clinging to, and I keep reminding myself that “He’s got this.”
When the destructive whirlwind threatens your security what do you do?
We have a few choices:
- Cave to destructive emotions
- Jump in to attack the problem and attempt to “fix things”
- Resort to some form of mind numbing relief (can you spell Facebook?)
- Tether yourself firmly to the Rock of Truth
The last choice is the only redeeming choice. I will be blown away by the whirlwind unless I get anchored by the Rock of Truth.
Can I share with you a few truths that I’m finding security in today?
- “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:2)
- “For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?” (Psalm 18:31)
- “He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.” (Psalm 62:2)
- “When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, Because the LORD is the One who holds his hand.” (Psalm 37:24)
- “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
- “The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble, And He knows those who take refuge in Him.” (Nahum 1:7)
Taking time to meditate on these truths, to take them in deeply and let them guide my heart to a safe place, rescues me from the whirlwind’s fury. As I focus on God’s faithful character as described here, it leads me to worship. And as I consider Him who is my Rescuer, I know that as long as He is with me in the whirlwind, there is no other place I’d rather be.
Are you caught in a whirlwind today?
What keeps you from free falling into despair?
Image courtesy of stockimages/FreeDigitalPhotos.net