Want to Study Colossians With Me?

This summer I’ve been studying the book of Colossians. And I thought I’d share with you some of what I’ve tackled in that book. But instead of just dumping loads of info on you, I hope you will dig into the Word for yourself with questions I’ll provide you with each day. It will take some commitment on your part, more than just reading through a quick blog post. Want to join me?

Before we start, I think it’s good to remember that when we study Scripture, we aren’t studying just words on paper, this isn’t just an ancient document, but it has a supernatural quality about it.

The Bible was written over a period of roughly 2,000 years by 40 different authors from three continents, who wrote in three different languages. It is a compilation of 66 books and one of its most remarkable qualities is the complete unity of the overall message despite having so many different authors writing over many centuries on hundreds of controversial subjects. Despite its variety of authors, the Bible maintains a perfect consistency of message. Its words point consistently to Christ, whose work on the cross was ordained by God—the true author of the Bible—before the world began. Natural explanations fail to account for the supernatural character and origin of Scripture.[i]

The only explanation is found in 2 Timothy 3:16–17:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Tim 3:16–17 ESV)

This passage holds the key to the supernatural quality of Scripture. The Greek word: “theopneustos” that means “God-breathed” is significant. This is the only time it appears in Scripture. This is why we tell our children this is “God’s Holy Word.” He literally breathed out the message we hold in our hands. He is the Author, and literally “breathed the words” out to those who would pen the writings of Scripture.

The primary purpose of studying Scripture is: Knowing God

Because we are naturally self-centered, we are inclined to approach Scripture with an “all about me” attitude. We want to find something that will make me feel better, that will lift me up, give me that answer I need, bring me a warm and fuzzy word of comfort . . . and although Scripture may provide those things, that is not the purpose of studying Scripture. The purpose is to know God.

God has created us and chosen to relate to us and reveal Himself to us in 3 ways:

• Through creation: Romans 1:19–20
  • Through God coming in flesh (Jesus Christ): Hebrews 1:1–3
  • Through His Word: From Genesis through Revelation, God is revealing Himself to us through Scripture and one day it will culminate in us seeing Him who is the Word of God: Rev. 19:11–13

The true purpose of studying God’s Word isn’t to become “better behaved people” but is to know God and understand His ways. When we approach Scripture with God at the center, then He becomes our reference point for existence. The Bible does tell us things about ourselves, who we are and what we should do . . . but it is always in reference to “who He is” and “what He has done and is doing.” When we get this turned around in our study, we can find ourselves drifting way off course.

The Bible is God’s redemptive story woven throughout history.

I’ll be laying the groundwork on a few blog posts before we actually jump into Colossians, but today I hope you’ll read through the Scriptures I referenced in the post and consider what your approach to studying God’s Word will be.

Anyone plan to join me?

[i] https://answersingenesis.org/the-word-of-god/3-unity-of-the-bible/

Image courtesy of hyena reality/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1. Posted by Laurie

2. Posted by Gail

I am ready to start something new so I will join you.

3. Posted by Sheila

Kimberly, once again, you are “singing my song.” Yes, I’d love to study Colossians with you. Thank you for asking! God bless your preparations and the hearts and minds of all who join you in this study. I pray that God’s living, active and powerful word will bring about surrender and submission in us so that we can give it its proper place of authority in our lives and that we will fulfill Paul’s prayer in Colossians 1:9-12.

YES!! Joining you in that prayer, Sheila! And I’m so glad you are ready to dive in and study Colossians 🙂

4. Posted by Jackie

Yes! Looking forward to it!

Glad to have you joining us, Jackie! I hope you’ll start by reading and re-reading Colossians chapter 1! 🙂

5. Posted by Margie

Yes, count me in.

Glad to have you joining us, Margie! I hope you’ll start by reading and re-reading Colossians chapter 1!

6. Posted by Lily L.

I will love to study Colossians with you, Kimberly. How many weeks will the study take?

7. Posted by Kisti Huffman

8. Posted by Cindy Tiwnsend

How do I sign up to participate in the Colossians study?

9. Posted by Deb

Yes, I’m in. Thank you!

10. Posted by Margie

Will be reading and am looking into your questions today.

Thank you!
    Margie

11. Posted by Jody

I would love to join you!! Colossians is on of my favorite books of the Bible. I love His Word and can’t wait to jump in with you.

12. Posted by Leonor

Hello, Leonor ~

Glad to have you joining us! I hope you’ll start by reading and re-reading Colossians chapter 1 and working through the questions I have on the next blog posts 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Power of Prayer | Kimberly Wagner - […] I hope you’ll look at that post to get some background information on this book but also read this…
  2. Doing Things Wrong for So Long | Kimberly Wagner - […] I hope you’ll click back to check those out because they’ll provide you with some background. Click here to…
  3. Supernatural Living | Kimberly Wagner - […] been studying the book of Colossians and today we’re at the halfway point of our study. Chapter three is…
  4. Reaching Thankfulness | Kimberly Wagner - […] is not the normal inclination of the heart that has been betrayed. As we’ve been studying the book of…
  5. Forgiveness Isn’t For Wimps | Kimberly Wagner - […] we continue our studying through the book of Colossians, I hope you’ll read chapter three again today before answering…
  6. Reviewing Our Study Process | Kimberly Wagner - […] back in August (seems like a long time ago, doesn’t it?) we started on a journey to study the…