Ready to dive into our study of Colossians? I hope you’ll commit to reading chapter one several times as we work our way through it. The more you read a portion of Scripture, the more you’ll become familiar with it and begin to grasp the meaning of it.
Today, I’m giving you a research assignment to help in our preparation to study Colossians. When we read a book, we need to understand what, when, why, and who. We need to get some background information to put that book in the right context for study.
I’m giving you a list of questions and hope you’ll use a good study Bible or commentary (or go online to research) and find the answers:
- When was Colossians written?
- Who is the author?
- Who was the book written to?
- Why was it written? (Purpose)
- Where was Colossae?
- What is the main theme of the book?
- What was happening in Christian history and in the culture at the time of writing?
- How would this book encourage the readers in the 1st Century?
- How does studying Colossians encourage you today?
I would love to hear your answers to any of these if you want to leave a comment!
Image courtesy of hyena reality/FreeDigitalPhotos.net