2016’s Focus!

The Christmas rush is over, the holiday meals behind, and you “go-getters” have probably already relegated the lights and decorations to storage. Things should be slowing down a bit, so now is the perfect time to evaluate and plan. Most people view the start of a new year as the opportunity to begin an exercise and weight loss program, start new habits, or annihilate poor ones.

This year, why not consider taking a spiritual approach to 2016’s entrance and make plans for tackling a new spiritual discipline or focus of study?

Consider a new level of spiritual maturity as your primary goal for 2016.

Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you (Philippians 3:13-15).

When fall approaches I start asking the Lord to place on my heart what He wants as my spiritual focus for the next year. Each year that I’ve sought His direction, He’s never failed to make it clear what my focus of study needs to be.

After spending time seeking the Lord about an area of spiritual growth for the year, I develop a plan. Here are a few suggestions if you’d like to join me in this activity:

• Take some time each day to look up several Scriptures pertaining to the particular topic. A good way to accomplish this is by using a concordance. Simply look up a few references at a time, jotting down notes as you go and cross references to additional passages.
  • Record passages that are particularly meaningful or thought provoking on 3×5 cards or a journal for memorization (Or text it to yourself!) and use for further meditation.
  •  Research, purchase, and read good books on the particular topic. A good commentary is a great study tool that is worth investing in. Use resources as you would a school textbook. Don’t just read, but thoroughly study the subject.
  • Ask questions about the topic you’re studying. Be inquisitive in order to learn. Ask questions as you read Scripture, as you are in conversation with others, as you go through your day in prayer.
  • Humbly approach the topic of study, recognizing that although you may have some knowledge, there is still much to learn and apply to your life. Ask God for grace to grow in this area and to use your growth for His glory.
  • Don’t allow this to be merely an academic study—this should be a heart exercise! Approach the Word with trembling, asking God to open your eyes and ears to know what He wants to teach you.
  • Share with others what God is teaching you. Allow your transparency and admission of need in this area to be an example and inspiration for others to follow in pursuing spiritual maturity.

Would any of you like to join me in this endeavor? If so, how about sharing with us the area of growth you believe God is leading you to cultivate this year?

We can pray for one another as we enter this journey together!

Image courtesy of Vlado/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1. Posted by Laura Heimann

What is it to be a Godly woman , wife and mother, what does that look like, what does a Godly marriage look like

Hello, Laura ~

Please forgive me for taking so long to respond to your question. Great question by the way! I encourage you to spend some time roaming the website and reading the articles on marriage and womanhood and I hope that will give you an idea of what a “godly” woman looks like. Basically, she is a woman who has her heart and mind fully surrendered to Christ.

Click on the link below to pull up the pdf that provides a picture of the “Beautiful Fierce Woman” (that’s who I want to be when I grow up!):

Blessings, friend ~

2. Kimberly, I remember when you first suggested this. Yes, I have areas where I need to continue my studies. Three top areas, actually: 1) keeping my thoughts positive, without allowing the enemy to get in there and mess up my head; 2) trust in God more, without trying to take control of a situation; 3) stop judging–it’s not up to me to judge. All three of these areas are covered beautifully in Joyce Meyers’ books “Battlefield of the Mind” and “The Mind Connection.” I’ll keep focusing on these areas in 2016.

Good luck to you and everyone else who’s digging deeper this year!

Hello, Julie ~

Hope your studies are going well and God is speaking to you through His Word. Thank you for sharing the areas you’re focusing on.

You might find these passages helpful this year:

2 Corinthians 10:3–5
      Philippians 4:8
      Isaiah 26:3

Blessings, friend ~

3. Posted by Cheryl

I prayed toward the end of last year about this very thing. My area of focus is surrender.

Wow, that’s mine, too, Cheryl! Let me hear how that is going and pass on any good resources you plan to use as you tackle that focus this year 🙂

4. Posted by Vivian Etherington

I posted on my FB status on New Year’s Eve (I think) how the Lord has clearly directed me to focus on growing in my prayer life– it is so weak. My mind is so easily distracted. Pray for me ( and with me some ?) as I seek to pursue intimacy with the Lord through prayer, as I organize better my prayer life, desire to grow in constant communion with the Lord– oh how I need Him moment by moment!

Hello, Viv ~

Your focus is right in line with ROH’s focus this year! Crying out to God! Love praying with you and so grateful for your prayers for me, friend!

5. Posted by Tonya Sheler

I agree with Ms Vivian The Lord has directed me towards a
    More consecrated active consistent prayer life. Our
    Woman’s group at church will be studying prayer and spiritual
    Warfare this will help me along my personal journey as well. Thanks for
    The pointers in doing a spiritual improvement calendar

6. Posted by Kimberly Wagner

Hello, Tonya ~

That is a great focus for the year! You might find some helpful content in these posts on prayer:

Let us hear what you’re learning 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Fresh Beginnings | Kimberly Wagner - […] passage is the foundation for my spiritual focus for 2016. The word that has been laid on my heart…
  2. Inviting You to Experience Joy | Kimberly Wagner - […] passage was the foundation for my spiritual focus for 2016. Day in and day out, each morning of this…