When Illness Accompanies Birth

When Illness Accompanies Birth

The world stops a bit when illness invades. Priorities change and it can be “all hands on deck.” That’s how it has been for us since June began. That’s why I’ve gone AWOL from the blog temporarily.

June brought us a new little one, but with her birth came new joys coupled with new challenges. Thank you for praying with us for little Adalynn Joy. During her short life, she’s spent more time in the hospital than at home. She’s home now, and we believe all of that is behind her, but spending time in the Children’s Hospital gave me a greater appreciation for God’s mercy each time He brings a healthy child into the world.

Our little Adalynn is not critically ill, she is still undergoing additional testing, but she’s nursing and sleeping, she’s no longer hooked up to an IV, and she’s at home in her own bed now. But as we walked out those doors this week, I thought about the many little ones left behind, securely anchored in incubators and inserted with tubes and injections, and prayed over by mommas who are fearful and helpless.

Good health is not a “right” we earn, it isn’t something we deserve or can purchase—every breath and each healthy cell is supplied by our gracious Creator.

The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth . . . he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place . . . In him we live and move and have our being (Acts 17:24–28).

For those of you that have prayed for our little one, thank you. For those who have little ones you are nursing back to health this day, let us pray for you. Let each of us pause and thank God for the mercy and grace He extends us with each healthy breath we receive from Him.

Do you have a little one we can pray for today?

1. My goodness, I’m glad she’s doing ok. Praying for continued health and growth.

I know what this is like. My twins were born 8 weeks premature and spent two weeks in the NICU. It was my first exposure to such fear and uncertainty. Those boys are now 16 and healthy and strong. They run track and cross country. They are “this close” to becoming Eagle Scouts. They drive themselves to school. They eat around the clock. I give thanks to God each day that my sweet boys are healthy and strong.

I will never forget all the tiny babies in the NICU unit, nor the angel nurses who lovingly cared for them.

Good Morning, Julie ~

Thank you for sharing some of your story. Two weeks in the NICU with two babies must’ve been a scary time. I love hearing where they are now, though, love seeing how God steps into our darkest nights and brings a beautiful work as a result. I’m sure your young men provide you with much enjoyment and sweet days 🙂

So grateful for those who serve in the medical field–what a gift!

Blessings on your weekend, friend ~

2. Posted by Marcia

I spend my first 52 days in a NICU. My son spend his first 26 days in the NICU and a granddaughter spent her first 7 weeks in the NICU. It certainly gives you a different perspective. God bless those who care for the babies in the NICU.

Hello, Marcia ~

Wow, 52 days is a long time–you had a difficult start, as did your son and granddaughter! Yes, so thankful for the care givers and the comfort God provides through having access to a reliable hospital!

Thankful our little one is home now!

3. Thank you for sharing and prayers for continued health for your family. I become a grandma for the first time in August so prayers for my son and his wife as they will welcome Finley Rose. Thank you!0

Hello, Jody ~

So thankful for your prayers! Will share more on Monday about what’s been going on, but so grateful to have our little one home and improving.

Congratulations!! You will love being a grandma! I hope they live close by 🙂 Our son and his family are just down the road, but the rest of our crew is over a thousand miles away and that is so hard.

Pausing to pray for little Finley Rose, asking for a safe and healthy delivery, and that her heart will one day be captured fully by our gracious Savior! May you have much opportunity to be a godly influence on her and experience a close bond with this little one.

Blessings, dear friend ~

4. Posted by Laura Bahena-Garcia

I will be praying for continued health on your little one. Praying for you as well…may God renew you, refresh you and restore you.

Thank you so much for your prayer, Laura, what a blessing! I’m so grateful for prayer warriors like you! 🙂

5. Posted by Alejandra

Praying! <3

Good to hear from you, Alejandra! Thank you so much for your prayers. I hope all is going well with you and your family. I have fond memories of meeting you and your precious little one in the DR 🙂

6. Posted by Sydel Pérez

Thank you for sharing your heart about this very personal issue of health in your family, it ministers to me in a very special way, my oldest daughter spent the first 12 weeks in the NICU and it was the hardest trial my husband and I have had to face. Our faith was challenged as we were tested with the life and wellbeing of our precious daughter but we grew in faith and came to know the Lord in a whole new way, as a father! Who not only provided but took care of our family and showed us that he is a sovereign God. Praise to his name forever!

Hello, Sydel ~

Thank you for sharing your personal story. Your little one’s health was a much more serious trial than ours. Twelve weeks is quite a long time, so thankful that God met with you and grew your faith through that trial. He is so good to bring into our lives the afflictions that bring us to a greater understanding of Him and His power.

The Psalmist states repeatedly how “good” it is to be afflicted by God:

“It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes” (Psalm 119:71).

But at the time, it doesn’t feel so good. He is faithful. And I love hearing stories like yours–thank you for sharing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Love Found in Affliction | Kimberly Wagner - […] of this daily blog, encourage my heart? You rejoice with me when I’m showered with good gifts and you…
  2. Hitting the Road, Again! | Kimberly Wagner - […] was hard to leave little Adalynn and her family. Was hard to get packed up for another long trip.…
  3. Why a Quick Trip to Chicago? | Kimberly Wagner - […] doing a little “housekeeping” with this post, let me catch you up on what is happening with our little…