As I penned the year 2017, for the first time, I wondered what it might hold. What does the Father have planned? We’ve just closed the door on a year that seemed to fly much too fast, will this one pass as quickly? Will I walk in step with the Spirit, or will I run past what He has for me, or lag behind and miss out? These are some of the questions I’m considering in the predawn hours.
How are you preparing your heart for this new year?
This time last year, we were running hard to finish a book, and by September it was released. A book was birthed, but did I grow any? Did I spend my time wisely? Was I in too much of a hurry or my calendar too filled?
As I begin this year, I’m seriously seeking the Lord and laying some big questions before Him. Time is too short to waste with what doesn’t really matter. There are so many good things, good opportunities, but how can we discern what to fill the day with?
How about taking a moment to consider with me ~
- Have I grown spiritually this year? How? Has my spiritual appetite increased or grown dull? What fruit has been produced from growth?
- Do I intentionally approach my schedule in a way that provides time and opportunity for spiritual growth? Do I plan for that?
- Do my plans include taking time for others?
- Do I recognize and remove myself from “time wasters” such as vegging out on social media or meaningless entertainment?
- Is what “seems” the most important at the moment, really what is most important?
- Does the “urgent” rob time from the actual assignment God has for me?
- Does the pressure of deadlines evaporate my joy? Dissolve kindness? Or do time pressures cause me to pause, pray, and ask for grace? Do I STOP, DROP, and PRAY?
- Am I so concerned with my own needs or feelings that I’m insensitive to others? How am I spreading hope to the weary? Am I watching for ways to bless those who need comfort and soul care? Am I sharing laughter with friends?
- Am I willing to consider critical input from others? Even when I disagree? How did I respond the last time this happened?
- Do I let others know they are valuable, that they matter? How often do I communicate love to those I love?
These are some of the questions I’m mulling over and taking to the Father—because my heart is deceitful and I’m not as objective as He is. He delights in questions that will lead us to insight and understanding; that will help us to walk in the paths He has planned for us.
Listen to what He is saying today:
[box]My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints.
Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path; for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you . . . (Proverbs 2:1–11).[/box]
Do you have questions you are asking this year?
Are you asking God to stir your heart to ask questions that will lead you to needed insight from Him?
I’d love to hear how you’re approaching 2017!
Image courtesy of tiniroma at www.freedigitalphotos.net