Do you have plans to join a Bible Study group this summer? I’m grateful to be involved with Bible Study Fellowship during the fall, winter, and spring, but spiritual growth doesn’t need to take a break through the summer, in fact, the summer can be a time when your time in the Word can thrive!
This summer, I’m leading a group at our church through Titus chapter 2, using Nancy Wolgemuth’s book: Adorned: Living Out the Beauty of the Gospel Together.
Why did I choose this for our summer study? Because . . .
This is the discipleship resource that every woman needs.
If you’ve never had the privilege of being discipled by a spiritually mature woman, I hope you’ll take advantage of the training you can receive from this book. The best form of discipleship is life-on-life, and that’s what this book prepares you to do. But if you’ve never had a woman serve as a truth-speaker in your life, Nancy can be that older woman and speak into your life through Adorned.
If you don’t have plans for a summer study yet, I hope you’ll consider using this as your resource for growth this summer! Invite a few women to join you, or maybe share this with your church’s women’s leadership and ask about using it at your church.
I have at least 100 reasons that every woman should read this book, but this is my top 20:
- Adorned lays out the incredible journey of womanhood and explains how to present Christ’s love and truth in a way that is beautiful and visible to those who know you.
- Adorned is a woman’s hands-on-manual for doing life, no matter your age or your marital status.
- Adorned dismantles the idea that biblical womanhood is a legalistic, joyless, fault-finding, narrow-minded prescription for women.
- Adorned doesn’t leave you feeling condemned or defeated, but graciously inspires you to “teach out of what God showed you when you messed up.”
- Adorned is written in a way that feels like you’re sitting in Nancy’s living room and she’s answering every question you’ve ever had about relationships and biblical womanhood.
- Adorned motivates and inspires women to live out the gospel “together” by explaining and emphasizing the need for sisterhood within community.
- Adorned is full of practical content to use in coming alongside another woman as a truth-speaker in her life—even if you’ve never had a woman personally disciple you.
- Adorned provides the biblical template for establishing long-term and fruitful discipleship relationships between women.
- Adorned isn’t a boring book of theoretical propositions, but is packed full of real life stories of women who are living out the truth and beauty of the gospel.
- Adorned hands you a road map for navigating the terrain of Titus 2 in our own era and cultural context, without a one-way-only approach to living out womanhood.
- Adorned is the resource you will turn to repeatedly, through every season of womanhood, to refocus and realign your heart with God’s calling for your life.
- Adorned gives practical instruction for bringing eternal realities into your daily activities.
- Adorned is the resource you’ve been looking for, if you desire to learn how to live out the beauty of the gospel with others.
- Adorned effectively tackles tough issues that every woman grapples with: sex, love, self-control, relationships, and pretty much anything you’d want to ask a spiritually mature woman.
- Adorned presents a counter-cultural curriculum for women that is meaty and inspiring, by covering every aspect of the instructions to women in Titus 2 in a theologically sound and spiritually motivating manner.
- Adorned is the fruit of one woman’s life-long pursuit (including her struggles) to faithfully apply God’s truth and the lessons she’s learned along the way.
- Adorned challenges us with the truth that: “The woman you will be in ten or twenty or fifty years is being determined by the woman you are this week.”
- Adorned reminds you that you’ve been “set apart by God for sacred service” and stirs your desire to live that out!
- Adorned will challenge your thinking patterns and motivate you to live for God’s glory in all areas of your life.
- Adorned contains the message that I am praying the daughters of our generation will pass on to their daughters!
The Miriam Webster dictionary defines “Magnum Opus” as a “great work; especially the greatest achievement of an artist or writer.” I would define Adorned as Nancy’s Magnum Opus . . . at least so far. This is her twentieth book, and there are more to come (hopefully), but this is indeed her legacy work; her gift to her global sisterhood.
This video gives a glimpse into why Nancy wrote this book. I hope you’ll consider diving into this, or some kind of study, that can add to your growth this summer!