So, I Bought My Husband a Cane Today

When you walk down the wedding aisle to join hands with your twenty-something groom, few brides probably consider that one day this strong young buck may be crippled. When we commit to faithfulness in sickness and in health, fleeting thoughts of colds and flu might come to mind. But a hospital bed set up in your living room to care for an invalid lover probably never enters the bride’s thoughts, and yet, many find themselves there in their “golden” season of marriage.

God’s plans are perfect and I’m so thankful for the man He chose for me. When I walked down that aisle to marry him, I could never have imagined what we’re experiencing in this season, but it brings me such comfort knowing that the Father knew, and all along He has been preparing us for this new adventure with Him.

There are so many things to be thankful for through our current adversity. I’m thankful for our wise and good Father who appoints the storms He knows are necessary. I’m thankful for our kind and knowledgeable family physician who put LeRoy through for all kinds of tests, searching diligently for a diagnosis and first directed us to UT Southwestern’s Neurology team for help.

I’m thankful that we weren’t at home when LeRoy lost his ability to walk or we would’ve gone to an emergency room and hospital that wasn’t equipped to provide the care needed (Plasma Exchange treatments). I’m thankful for the team here that has been attentive and aggressive in getting to the source of the problem. I’m thankful that LeRoy is responding well to treatment.

I’m extremely grateful to be buying LeRoy a cane!

The autoimmune disease could’ve attacked his heart, lungs, or taken his ability to breathe, but it didn’t. We could be planning his funeral right now rather than planning an exit strategy from the hospital. This disease could’ve taken his eyesight or his cognitive abilities, but it hasn’t. He could’ve reacted in self-pity, anger, or resentment over his new physical condition, but he hasn’t.

There are more things to be thankful for than I can cram into this blog post. So, yes, I bought him a cane today . . . and I’m so thankful, because that means that when we leave this hospital, he’ll be walking out of here, rather than being rolled out in a wheelchair (which is how we entered).

And knowing my man, he will accomplish more with a cane in hand than most athletes in a day.

Prayer Praises:

1. PLEX treatments are almost over! Seven completed and hopefully he’ll not need any more.
  2. He is back to himself!! They took him off the medication that had him completely knocked out for more than forty-eight hours and are working with medications that will calm the nerve pain without putting him in a coma state.
  3. God’s faithful presence is a continual encouragement to us, He is keeping us in perfect peace as we travel this new road.
  4. We’re being carried to the throne of grace by believers from across the globe. We are deeply moved by the number of you who’ve left comments on the blog or supported us in prayer, and in so many practical ways . . . we are blown away by your love!

Prayer Requests:

1. Continue asking God for a definitive diagnosis and for wisdom with how we should move forward with the medical team’s recommendations. They are treating him for Devic’s disease or “NMO” even though not all test results have returned from Mayo yet.
  2. We would be grateful for God’s merciful work of healing, but ask for grace to receive whatever He has appointed for us.
  3. Please continue to pray for our daughter and the birth of her little one. She made a fast trip to the hospital this week, but it’s not quite time for this little one to arrive! More than a thousand miles away, mom and baby (still in the womb) are doing fine, just waiting for delivery any day now.
  4. Pray for our adjustment to this new life as we return home. May we walk in the Spirit, abiding in Christ moment by moment, and in all things glorify the Father!

1. Posted by Gail

So thankful with you for God’s Strength through it all! I appreciate updates so we know how to pray. Sending much love and continued prayers for both of you and for your daughter and coming baby too! God bless you with His warm love! ♥

2. Posted by Paula Price

You bring me to tears every time I read how you and LeRoy are handling this adversity in your life with grace and thanksgiving. I am thankful for your example to me and others. Praying daily for LeRoy and the whole family.

3. Posted by robin

Dear Kimberly, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    I fell in love at 19 with a cancer pt with supposedly less than a
    yr to live. Long story short he lived almost 40 more years.
    I guess you could say I’ve been there and done that but early on instead of later in life.
    More so when I had my own Near death experience due to, of all things,
    an infected root canal. The botulism that resulted wreaked havoc
    from liver and gall bladder issues to a slipped disc and dislocated shoulder til it almost killed me. My point is that sometimes mercury
    fillings and infected root canals can cause many symptoms and illnesses
    that dont show up on tests! Pls dont leave any stone unturned in your search for answers. You may need to find a Holistic dentist to get answers if this is his issue. Most dentists are ignorant about some
    of these issues. Meanwhile my top 4 for health and healing
    are 1) Mineral supplementation since our food has been demineralized due to poor farming 2) Essential fatty acids 3) Probiotics, and 4)pure
    water as tap water is very toxic today.
    Love and Light in Him,
    `Robin R.

4. Posted by Leonor

Dear Kim I am thankful for God’s love, wisdom and mercy. From your response to this adversity
    It is clear that you and your husband are keeping your eyes in Christ!!!
    Psalm 16:8 I will keep my eyes always in the LORD, with him
    At my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Everything is necessary that he sends.
    Nothing can be necessary that he withholds.–
    John Newton –

5. Posted by Karen Swedberg

Thank you for the update. You two are an example of true believers, trusting Him in hard times. We continue to pray for your requests.

6. Posted by Vivian

Kim, I love this post! You are living out in a powerful way ” In EVERYTHING give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you!” Thanking the Lord with you, especially that LeRoy can walk out of there, even if it is with a cane!
    I have been in a meeting with three other women this morning– we are going through ” Fierce Women”. Thank you Kim for that book! Just wanted to encourage you again with the far reaching effects of your ministry! Thank you for updating.

7. Posted by Mary Stuart

Thank You, Great Physician, for healing LeRoy!! Comfort all who love him.

8. Posted by Resie Promise

Matt and I are praying for you. I am so encouraged by your blog posting even though you and LeRoy are going through this trial, your faith and trust in the Lord is so evident !

From:
    Mrs. Resie Promise
    Miami, FL

9. Posted by Linda Powell

Yall continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. God is proving Himself faithful by walking every step with you in His infinite love during this difficult time. Thank you for continuing to be salt and light to us all. We love yall! Linda & Brent Powell

10. Posted by Donna

Praying to God for a definitive diagnosis and praying for wisdom with how you move forward with the medical recommendations.
    Praying for God’s merciful work of healing, and for grace to receive whatever He has appointed for you both.
    Praying for your daughter and the birth of her baby.
    Praying for your adjustment to this new life as you return home. May you both walk in his grace and Spirit, abiding in Christ moment by moment, and in all things glorify the Father!

11. Posted by Ina Stanage

To me your most important prayer request is the one that your prayer that you would be grateful for Gods merciful healing, but ask for grace to receive whatever He has appointed you. Having lived through a time in my life when I was in a similar situation as you are now Kim I had a hard time letting go of praying that God would heal my husband instead of accepting the fact that I should pray for Him to give me strength to accept what He had in His plans for the rest of our lives. When I could do that the strong woman in me came out. As you know my husband lived against all odds and lived to a ripe old age of 91. It wasn’t easy as he suffered through a lot of pain but with God’s help we made it. I am praying for you both and know that the love I have for both of you is so much only God knows how much.

12. Posted by Kim Hackney

Praising the Father along with you for all His goodness! Continuing to pray for complete healing for Leroy and many more opportunities to share Jesus with the people you both encounter.

13. Posted by Virginia Thompson

My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all timed; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. SELAH. Thankful that God is with you and that your faith is strong. A example for us to follow. Love and prayers.

14. Posted by Jerry Mayfield

Continuing to pray for you both. Will have my church pray for LeRoy this morning. Give him our greetings and love.

15. Posted by Sarah Wright

Prayers for you both. Healing for him and strength and peace for you. As a wife/caregiver myself, don’t forget all of those around you that will gladly help. It’s okay to take a breath.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Our First Steps Into Uncharted Territory | Kimberly Wagner - […] We’re home. Eighteen days after entering through the Emergency Room, after an emergency exit from the conference on Prince…