Learning a New Dance

LeRoy is not a dancer. He’s never danced, never wanted to dance, and dancing isn’t even a category he knows anything about. But we’re learning a new dance together. We’re a bit clumsy right now, but making feeble attempts at learning the new movements that this dance requires.

LeRoy has always been a strong and tender leader. He’s a man’s man. He’s not loud and boisterous, but he is dependable, consistent, diligent, and unflagging in his determination. Throughout our marriage, he’s rarely asked my help, not that he’s too prideful for that—he just does things himself. He makes his own coffee, pays our bills, often makes the bed in the morning and helps with the laundry. He pushes into adversity and doesn’t let pain sideline him. I’ve seen him put in a hard day’s work when he was sick as a dog . . . not giving into his weak body.

But this illness is unlike anything LeRoy has ever battled.

His heart and mind are willing to move forward, but sometimes his body isn’t cooperating. He doesn’t want to flinch and let the pain contort his body, but when it hits, he can’t stop it. He wants to pick up his life as normal, wants to jump on the tractor and mow the field in front of our church, wants to run as hard as he normally does . . . but the body won’t get in line with his wants. His body is saying it’s time to rest a bit.

I’m trying to learn this new dance.

He says the hardest thing for him in all of this weakness is that he fears being unable to protect me. It makes us both feel vulnerable. It’s a new experience. I’ve never felt afraid of anything when I’m with him, but now we both know he has physical limitations. Yesterday he told me, “At least I might be able to use my cane as a weapon if I need to . . .” That’s a real man for ya, he’s always thinking ahead, looking out for danger, and figuring out a plan in case we’re confronted with it.

It’s hard, because he wants to do more than his body will allow right now. I’m trying to learn the new dance of encouraging to push ahead, to support him in his determination to do as much as possible—independent of my help, but at the same time—to “protect” him from doing anything that is risky or might even endanger himself.

This is the greatest challenge in this new dance—functioning in a “protector” role, when normally, he is my protector.

His physical strength has always given me a steadying sense of security. His wisdom in leadership has made it easy for me to follow him. And I want him to continue to be my leader, but he acknowledges that he needs me to make decisions right now that he’s not sure about. He’s put me in charge of his meds—we’re experimenting and trying to find the right balance—taking enough of the right kind of meds to make his pain manageable without knocking him out. He’s depending on me for more things that normally he would take care of, but he’s pushing himself to do as much as possible on his own.

We are very much in a new dance . . . one where we are clinging closely to each other and following the leading of our Savior. It is the three of us joined tightly together in this dance.

He is leading us in this new dance, and we find our safety and security in Him. He is leading us along the paths He has planned for us. This Psalm has been a sweet reminder to us of His faithful leadership in this new dance:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23)

Please don’t think that we no longer need your prayers. We are in great need of prayer today.

Thank you for joining us in this journey into new territory and through the clumsiness of this dance.

Photo by Emre Gencer on Unsplash

1. Posted by Kathy Leverett

Praying for you and for Leroy.

2. Posted by Suzanne Russell

I continue to pray for you and Leroy. Stay fierce, my friend. : )

3. This is so beautifully written, dear Kim. I’m continuing to pray!

4. Posted by Rebecca Einwechter

Thanks for the updates. Praying for you both!

5. Your Leroy sounds like my husband. What great men of God He has given us. Praying for you both as you forge ahead with a new dance.

6. Posted by Ana Estrada

May God strengthen and guide you in this new territory!
    Praying from Panamá!

7. Posted by Cindy Townsend

Thank you for keeping us updated on LeRoy’s
    progress as we pray along side you for his healing.
    You are both much loved!!

8. Posted by Sandra Diehl

You both have given so much to us all. It’s time for you to receive back . I pray for you both and know for sure God will see you though and be all that you need each moment. Your love for each other and for the Lord melts my heart and I know God is blessed by that love too.
    Big hugs and prayers

9. Posted by Sheila Bair

LeRoy and Kimberly, As I read this post, I admit feeling overwhelmed by the mere thought of what you ARE going through. I was considering the reality that sometimes it’s almost impossible for the truth that the head knows to override what the heart fears. Then a song began to play in my head that I haven’t heard since our children were small almost 30 years ago. Perhaps the Lord is giving it to me to pass along to someone who has a special place in his heart for children and to minister to your hearts.

Steve Green – When I Am Afraid

And this one played next (for things that the doctors can’t fix).

Steve Green – A Joyful Heart (is good medicine)

Lord, thank You for the great faith and faithfulness that LeRoy and Kimberly are demonstrating through this “dance” in a dark valley with more questions than answers. May it please You to protect them from becoming overwhelmed by fear and discouragement. Lord, please continue to sustain them both with joyful hearts and complete trust in You, knowing that You WILL work all of this for good for them, because they certainly love You and are doing their best to live according their calling and Your purpose. Please have great mercy on LeRoy’s body, to heal and restore strength. Amen!

10. Posted by Dale Perry

Kim,
    My wife and I began that dance in August of 2003. It is one of the most difficult dances the two of you have ever done. But you will be dancing to the music of God’s heavenly choir. May God bless you and LeRoy as you dance together. We love you both. Dale Perry

11. Posted by Jim Lang

Kimberly- What a great analogy of your “New Dance” with Leroy.
    Your testimony is one of incredible faith and is an inspiration to so
    many of us who are praying AND encouraged by your great trust in
    Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. He shed His blood for each of
    us that we might pray and rest even as we claim the precious
    covering of that same blood of Jesus! AMEN

12. Posted by Lynda Butler

Sending hugs! We love you and are praying for you right now!

13. Posted by Kristin

Many, many prayers today and always ♥️

14. Posted by Rebecca

Whow! I agree, Kim, that you have stated this all so beautifully. We are seeing through your lives and marriage the relationship of Christ with His Body and with His Church.

15. Posted by Melinda Thomas

Continued prayers!! Love you cousin!! Keep fighting the fight!!

16. Posted by Donna

I will continue to pray for LeRoy and you until this battle has been won in victory.

Love and Hugs in Christ.
    Donna

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Finding Joy in Desperate Days | Kimberly Wagner - […] FMy eyes were still closed, but in this morning’s pre-dawn hours, as wakefulness was nudging me, I started lifting…