Walking the Path He Has for Us

Our journey down this road has really just begun, we’re only eleven weeks into it, and yet we’ve been in training for this road since birth. Before LeRoy let out his first cry, and before I broke the water of mom’s womb, these steps along this path were prepared for us. Preparation happens, even when we’re unaware. That’s one of the deep mercies of God.

Nothing takes Him by surprise; that would be impossible! He plans, prepares, and sets in motion the course He has for us:

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).

Early on, the Father taught me necessary lessons on trusting His sovereignty and goodness. One of the first painful lessons came on the bathroom floor as I cried out to Him to stop the miscarriage that was taking our first little one from my womb. More than twenty years later, I revisited that lesson with my daughter’s own losses through more than one miscarriage. His message then was the same as it is today: “I am a trustworthy God.”

This week, I’ve been revisiting the final days of caring for my father. It was preparation for the care-giving role I’m now living. At the time, all I could see was the need to assist my mom with taking care of my dad, but now I realize that season provided practical lessons, opportunities to broaden and deepen my understanding of walking by faith through illness with your man. My mom set a great example for me in sacrificial loving service to my dad, as I watched her expend herself daily, starting early each morning, preparing his breakfast, bathing him in bed, caring for his every need . . . with kindness and compassion.

All along the way, God has lessons in place to prepare us for what He has in store on down the road.

LeRoy was prepared as well. From an early age, he learned the verse, “When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You” (Psalm 56:3).

Throughout his life, God has put LeRoy in the position to face “impossible obstacles” in order to trust God’s good character and plans. God has grown him through each hard road and seeming failure, preparing him for the greatest challenge he’s ever faced.

God has proven Himself faithful in every challenge He’s led us through.

I’m sorry I haven’t been able to post an update recently. My daily routine looks much different than when I could spend hours a week typing out thoughts in this little space. Days are spent now in a different sort of ministry. There are many meals to prepare, lots of grocery shopping, cleaning, and the continual sorting of meds and medical appointments. The daily landscape and schedule is much different, but God’s faithfulness is the same. His presence is near and tangible, and for that, I’m eternally grateful.

Where things stand today:

We are waiting. That’s the most accurate update I can give. We had appointments and physical therapy sessions in Dallas the last week in September. The neurology team started LeRoy on a series of high-powered steroids for six weeks. Initially, after starting the steroid treatment, he had three glorious days of feeling almost normal. It was incredible. It renewed my hope for complete recovery. But that proved to be only a temporary reprieve from the excruciating pain he endures.

We’re scheduled to return to Dallas the second week of November for more tests. They still haven’t diagnosed which autoimmune disease he has, so they’ve not really begun treatment, but are just trying to manage his symptoms right now. The neurologist hopes that the steroids will reduce the size of the lesions on his spinal cord. The original plan was to have another MRI on November 14th, but LeRoy has been declining in mobility and his pain continues to be unrelenting, so the neurologist is setting up an MRI for next week. I’m grateful. It will be helpful to know what is going on in his spinal cord right now.

But, no matter what they find on this next scan, the process of trusting is the same.

We’ve walked with the Father long enough to know that He is faithful. We’ve seen His good character on display through many dark seasons. He leads us along pathways of preparation, allowing us to see His work, His provision, His watchful care . . . and then He takes us through another valley where trust is necessary to survive the rugged terrain.

It is no different for you.

You may not be waiting for a doctor’s report, but even so, you are in a season of preparation. I encourage you to not miss the lessons God is wanting to impart. Press in deeply to all He has for you. Ask Him to open your heart to learn and receive. Know that in each moment, He is at work—He is accomplishing His purposes and leading you in the steps He has prepared for you.

We are grateful for your prayers; please don’t let up, we need your intercession!

1. Posted by Carla

Thank you for the update. Praying for you and Leroy. And thanx for reminder. God is preparing me now for what lies ahead in my journey! (This prep is tough stuff!)

2. Posted by Leonor

Dear Kim and LeRoy, even though I do not personally
    know you, It seems like I do! Every time I read your blog I either
    shed tears, I sing, I lift the two of you with all my heart to the Lord!
    Or I simply kneel down with out even saying anything, But God’s knows,
    nothing is unknown to Him! I was just thinking of this song as I was reading your
    Blog today.

He will me you fast,
    He will hold me fast
    For my Savior loves me so
    He will hold me fast!

Continues prayers for LeRoy and you!
    Keep on trusting!

Much love
    ~Leonor

3. Posted by Suzanne Russell

I’m so grateful for our brief introduction and that I’m getting to know you quite well as I read these updates and reports. I will continue to intercede for you and LeRoy and will share your needs with my intercessory prayer group. Stay fierce

4. Posted by Laura Green

Thanks for these insightful words. Our dear friends Tracy and Corrie lost their three-year-old daughter this week we went down to Alabama for the funeral. They are walking through deep waters. In a few days I’m going to send her a link so she can read your words. I hope and pray they will bring comfort to her.

5. Posted by Anita

Del and I continue to lift both of you up in prayer. I cannot imagine all you are both going through but our Father is faithful. I do not pretend to know or understand why He has you walking this path, but I know He is walking it with you. We love you both and are so grateful for the privilege of knowing your hearts and faith for so many years.

6. Posted by Barbara Stewart

Kim, you exemplify a Godly warrior. To be able to admonish others when you are hurting so badly is truly the mark of complete dedication. We continue to lift you both up to our Heavenly Father. I know He weeps with us.

7. Posted by Sandra Diehl

Praying for you both. You are on my heart.
    Thank you for keeping us a part of your journey. I pray that the pain will let up.
    Love and healing,

8. Posted by Mary Stuart

So sorry y’all are having to go through this hard time. Your faithfulness to our Great Physician is
    a witness for all of us.
    Miss you at BSF.
    MARY STUART

9. Prayed for you both just now. Praying praying praying! It’s truly amazing when we look back and see how He has prepared us. Nothing is wasted. You both are so precious.

10. Posted by Tricia

Prays for your family. Prayers for Leroy’s pain management. Prayers for God’s loving arms to lift you when you are tired. My family too is going through a health crisis and your blog is so uplifting. Prayers from another BSF’er.

11. Posted by Vivian Etherington

Continuing to pray, sweet Kim! Thank you for updating… as you mentioned, your days are full! I love reading that His presence is tangible to you! Please tell LeRoy that the Etheringtons love him and we’re continuing to pray for him and you!

12. Posted by Kathryn

Thank you for the update Kimberly. We are praying and praying again. God bless you with strength and stamina and grace as you minister to your husband. Nothing is wasted. Amen and amen

13. Posted by Kristy

Kim, I continue to be challenged and strengthened as you share where God has you and LeRoy at the moment and the lessons you are learning along the way. We aren’t dealing with physical difficulties at the moment, but we are in a season of the unknown. The Lord has prepared us for this time through His Word and His faithfulness to His people. We continue to pray for you and LeRoy and know that He has you in the palm of His hand. Love you, sister!

14. Posted by N. Lang

Kim,

Definitely continuing in prayer.

In the stillness there is peace.

N. Lang

15. Posted by Jennifer Stanley

Kim,

I read everything that you and Lindsey post. The other day I read the post from Rachael. As I read it in the silence of my living room, I began to cry and call out to the Lord on behalf of you guys. As I prayed, i realized God was using that time to change something in me. Please tell LeRoy that God is already using him in such a Devine way. God is so good!!! You both mean so much to me and I will be faithful to continue to pray for you. I love you guys!

Jennifer

16. Posted by Ana Estrada

Thank you very much for sharing your day to day with us, thank you for giving us an example of a life completely surrendered to the Lord!
    Praying from Panamá, blessings

17. Posted by Alrica Moatshe

Father God. I bring Kim & Leroy to you. I thank you for their heart committed and trusting to you even in the midst of this storm. I thank you that your word says that you will not give us more than we can bear. Thank you that you are with them through it all. Continue to strengthen Kim as she serves her husband so faithfully. I know this puts a smile on your face. We are learning so much from her. She is truly a blessing. Father, I pray for Leroy. I pray for complete healing in the Name of Jesus. May He rise up to tell of your faithfulness. May this journey give you glory. I ask all this in the Powerful Name of Jesus! Amen

Kim,
    You are a blessing. Thank you for a heart committed to your Father in every circumstance.

Blessings
    Alrica Moatshe (South Africa)

18. Posted by Gail

God is so good, we have been hearing all day Sunday and Sunday evening, on God’s purpose in every single thing we go through. And when we do not look for it, we may miss the very blessing He has for us. When we accept it with grace, we feel His presence near us, we may not see the purpose, but God hears our prayers and sees our obedient hearts. That is when we “feel” His presence nearest to us! May God bless you as your hearts share with us the faith you have in Our Father! May Jesus be ever near you and the Holy Spirit guide each breath you take. Our prayer is still for healing, freedom from the deep pain. We care deeply for you both, and will keep praying. Much love sent your way! ♥

19. Posted by Donna

Kim and LeRoy.

My continued prayers for you both. I am praying for the pain to go away and for complete healing.